While working with the finances and planning budgets other families as well as our own, I have learned that food expenses are often a very big part of a family’s overall expenses. On a positive note, it is also normally the place where it is most easy to save some money.
Here are a few tips to lower food expenses, all of them I use on a weekly basis:
- Planning meals a week ahead – saves both time and money as it makes grocery shopping more focused as well as takes the headache away of not knowing what to cook.
- Shopping by a grocery list – helps avoiding buying food items that we don’t need or will not use.
- Shopping once (or twice) a week – takes away the risk of buying those extra unnecessary items.
- Not having meat every day, but only a few times a week.
- Buying things that doesn’t spoil in bulk when they are on sale (grains, flour, cleaning articles..)
Here is our meal plan for the coming week:
Sunday: Fettuccine with Tomato Sauce
Wednesday: Risotto with Lemon and Peas
Thursday: Sweet and Salty Salmon with green salad
Have a great week 🙂